The coat of arms of the city of Paris showed already in 1210 a one-masted ship as reference to the city foundation on the old town island Île de la Cité. However, the coat of arms did not become famous until 1358. The fleurs-de-lis on the head of the shield, which are symbolic for France, are augmentations of the coat of arms to the “good city”. Further variants show a wall crown, a slogan on a gold ribbon surrounding the shield, or an image of three ships. The Games emblem was the traditional coat of arms with a one-masted ship, supplemented by the lettering “VIIIe Olmypiade, Paris 1924”. Depending on the use, different forms of representation were designed, e.g. a variant with wider lines for smaller applications and a strongly reduced stamp version. This is the first emblem in Olympic history recognized by the IOC.