Antwerp 1920 – Graphic Symbol

Designer: unknown


For the first time in the still young history of the Olymic Games of modern times, in 1920 the flags of Antwerp and Belgium were combined with the Olympic rings on the graphic symbol to form one sign, whereby the text “VIIe Olympiade, Anvers 1920” was detached from the graphic symbol and could be supplemented in different ways. It was mainly used on printed matter. By far the most prominent exhibit was the official programme. The spelling of the name “VIIe Olympiad” was done with different fonts, sometimes in capitals, sometimes in capitals and minuscules. The Olympic rings on the graphic symbol corresponded exactly to the design by Pierre de Coubertin in 1913, only the colours were changed. This graphic symbol is not recognized by the IOC and therefore no official emblem.