For the first time an architectural landmark of a city was used as a symbol of the Games. Four years later in Oslo and Helsinki in 1952 such a landmark was also used. For London it was the Big
Ben with the parliament building, which is recognised as the landmark of the city all over the world. Big Ben’s hands are at four p.m., the time at which the Games were officially opened at
Wembley Stadium. The Olympic rings decorate the parliament building. On the basis of this symbol different emblems were designed, depending on the use either simplified or more elaborate in
details. The texts “XIVth Olympiad” and “London 1948” were part of the emblem and used in various sizes and positions.